Blogging, Web and Wiki Tools

My #HourofCode

I have just spent the last 2 hours on Code.org completing the App Lab Unit in honor of this year’s Hour of Code.

App Lab is a programming environment where you can make simple apps. Design an app, code in JavaScript with either blocks or text, then share your app in seconds.

The unit has mini lessons (levels) that begin with an explanation video, an application assignment and a self-checking “run” and check it step.

• Setting Properties – Levels 1-4
  • Make It Interactive – Levels 5-7
  • Images and Sounds – Levels 8-9
  • Design Mode – Levels 10-13
  • Share Your App – Levels 14-15

The site guides you through the steps required to create your practice app before allowing you to tweak and change it up to your liking. I chose to create a Choose your assignment adventure. It is something that will allow them to take an adventure into learning by blindly selecting their assignments. After reading the text, my students would choose to either go right or left for their assignment tasks.

My app is not class ready but I am pleased with the results of my work. I spent a couple of hours working (I played the role of student and viewed all videos and followed all directions) and I created something that can be used and shared.

There is still time for you and your students to check out the many resources that can be found on Code.org.