W. O. W.

I started a blog for my daughter

I started a blog for my daughter after Christmas so that she could have her own personal space to show off some of the Web 2.0 tools and apps that we play with around the house.   My daughter is in the 2nd grade and I wondered about the wiseness of doing this for her personally.  She is not being supported by her classmates and teacher.  She is blogging and sharing for the sake of reflecting and creating.

Her blog has glogs, PhotoPeach movies, JayCut movies, Animoto movies and pictures.  I decided that I would start at home what I expect my students to do in class.  Blog about whatever is important to them.  My daughter felt important when I announced that her website was ready.  Her Website!!!  She was so stoked.  I told her to write about what she got for Christmas and to ask others leave her a comment about what they received.  I tweeted her post using the #comments4kids hashtag and then we waited to see if anyone would reply.

Much to our surprise, people began to respond and leave her comments about items that they received for Christmas.  Thanks to all of you for the support.  You truly made the day of a 7 year old girl who did not think that anyone would really read her work.

I did not have her to reply back because I didn’t think it appropriate for my 7yr old to begin conversing with adult strangers over the internet.  Those of you who left comments, she did read them and those of you who left links to pictures, she did look at your Christmas goodies and we discussed them.

Blogging is a great way to be self expressive, whether you are 7 or 70.  If you haven’t started one, do so.  It is a good way to reflect and create.   Just ask my 7 year old.

I have a wonderful PLN and I am very happy that we are supportive of each other’s efforts.  Thanks again.

2 Comments