Parent Connections Reflections Showcasing work

Student led Conferences

Tuesday Night my school will be holding Student Led Conferences.

The students will have an opportunity to say “Look Ma, I did this….”  

Here is a copy of the work introduction that I prepared for them to share with their parents or guardians.

Thank you for coming to the student led conferences with me.  I am going to tell you about my English class. Ms. Burton is my teacher.So far this semester we have studied: Short stories, Nonfiction, Poetry and Drama.  I have:

• created an ePortfolio that houses my work
  • worked on wikipages displaying responses to literature read in class
  • created blog posts about literature read in class
  • created blog posts about 10 self discovery questions about myself and my beliefs

Here is some of the work that I have done in this class:

Short Stories – We completed a digital story about the story of our choice. Here is mine (show parent your PhotoPeach video)

Nonfiction – We have completed blog posts about some of the articles/books we have read and pictures that we have analyzed.  (Show parent the posts written in response to gun control article, editorial pictures analyzed or work done for The 7 Habits of Highly Effective Teens Project. )

Poetry – I have written several poems and analyzed a poem that we read in class. (Show parent your poems)

Drama – As part of our study of Shakespeare and Romeo and Juliet, I have researched about Shakespearean times and written insults and compliments in Shakespearean language. (Show parents blog posts and handouts from these activities.)

I did a really good job on ________________________________________________.

I really liked ____________________________________________________________.

Do you have any questions for me? (Listen to your parent/guardian and answer any questions.)

Thank your parents for coming out to talk about your work in the English Class.

As the instructor, it is my duty to mingle among the students and their families to make sure that things are going well. I am not to discuss student performance at all.  If a parent wants to request a Parental Conference we will schedule one but Tuesday Night is for the student to talk about his/her work.  I love this idea and have used Weebly.com in the class for ePortfolios for just this purpose.  I want the students to be able to show off their sites to their families.

Student Upset because people are copying his site

Santana is furious that people are designing their ePortfolios to look like his.

How cool is that? He has a site with schoolwork on it and he wants to design it to looks cool and unique. Awesome.

Has anyone else done this?  Held student led conferences like this?  If so, how did go?