Uncategorized

33 computers and 90 minutes, whatever shall I do?

Here is a slide show from my LACUE Presentation.

Computers, Thirty-Three 9th Graders and a 96 Minute Block; Whatsoever Shall We Do?

Friday, December 3, 2010  9:45 am – 11:15 am – River Center – Meeting Room 2

Presenter: Valerie Burton, West Jefferson High School – Jefferson Parish Schools, MsVRBurton@gmail.com

My session will give you a bird’s eye view into my Freshman English class and how I utilize technology daily.  In this session, we will create a blog post, post to a WallWisher, create a digital story, play an online game and use Google forms.  My session will use active learning as we model the process of how to integrate technology. We will apply active learning strategies that can facilitate higher order thinking skills, to each section of the session and provide time for participants to engage in these strategies and in metacognitive reflection.

Most of the tools we use will require the creation of accounts.  My wiki http://burtonstechtips.pbworks.com/w/page/26990034/FrontPage

provides additional information and lists of similar tools that participants could choose to explore later.

Here is the AGENDA from LACUE

5 minutes: Introduce presenters and initiate a backchannel discussion that models the active learning strategy of collaboration
5 minutes:  Introduction to online surveys

Participate in a survey to indicate what they know/think they know technology integration

5 minutes: Examine the survey results using the projector to identify common knowledge and share an overview of technology integration
5 minutes: Engage in a technology enhanced Think Pair Share exploring the daily formats/schedules of the participants

15 minutes: Examine a Romeo and Juliet Weekly Plan that uses technology to achieve the  instructional outcomes

30 minutes: Create a daily/weekly agenda that integrates technology from the bell ringer to the closing of the lesson
10 minutes: Develop strategies to check for engagement/on task behavior
10 minutes: Q & A discussion including returning to the backchannel questions and in closing refer to list of additional active learning resources and similar online tools

One comment

• Pingback: LaCUE | I blog to share and to learn