Uncategorized

Back to school.

We have gone back to school today.  On a day with the threat of street flooding.  Not a very good start to the day but I remained optimistic and so far so good.

We started the day of with a Pep Rally and that was followed by schedule distribution from homerooms.  I have 28 students in my homeroom.  (That will change.  It always does; the schedule needs much tweaking in the beginning.)  My other classes vary in size: 19, 30 and 15.  (This too will change.)

Our normal class lasts for 93 minutes but with today’s abbreviated schedule, I did not have much time with my 1st class so we only got so far as initial introductions.  I plan to read and respond to handout entitled “What is the purpose of school?”  After reading the piece and answering a few comprehension questions, I want them to take a stance on what they believe the focus of education ACTUALLY is.  They will create brainstorming notes that will be later used to assist in composing an essay.

Whoops. There’s the bell.  Will try to write again this evening.