Reflections Showcasing work W. O. W.

Wikis + Students = >engagament

Recently I was honored to be interviewed by Bridget McCrea from The Journal who wanted insight into the use of wikis in the classroom.

One of the questions she asked went something like “What is the greatest benefit to students using wikis in the class?” I think that I gave a weak answer like “Wikis allow the students a chance to publish permanent work for the world to see.”   I say that my answer was a weak one because the benefits of student usage means so much more than that.  When I answered that question I was speaking through a sometimes squawky cellphone connection from my horrific hotel room after having completed a college tour that had me traipsing up and down a hill for 5 hours sooooo I really didn’t have a chance to ‘chew on’ the question like I have been doing.  So I will try to answer the question again with the benefit of a good night’s sleep.

What is the greatest benefit to students using wikis in the class?

Student usage to me refers to two different things.

1. Student usage can refer to Students using wikis as reference sources. Our class wiki can be used to gain access to podcasts, notes, directions, presentations, handouts, etc. to assist them in keeping up with class assignments and deadlines.
2. Student usage also refers to Student created pages.  With student created pages comes the feeling of pride and sense of belonging that occurs when students have the opportunity to be showcased.  They can share their work in formal, structured activities like Class Presentations using the wiki as part of their presentation, Think Pair Share sessions after viewing student work or Gallery Walks that present opportunities for others to view and comment on published wikipages.  Sharing can also be informal with one student saying to another “Finished my movie and it looks way better than yours” or “How did  you get your wikipage to look like that?  I can’t center my work?”  or even “Just finished my page, would you look at it for me?”  Wikis give students a venue for their voice to be heard.  They no longer just write a paper for me that may or may not be placed on the bulletin board or wall display; they can now create work that can be shared with classes from around the country/world or with friends and family.  Wikis give them a lasting voice.

Students can create a variety of themed pages: