About Me

Ms B is online

I am an English I teacher from New Orleans, Louisiana.  I blog for myself, my students and for my colleagues.

Teaching Philosophy

My philosophy of education is to provide an inquiry-based atmosphere.  In my English I class I use project based learning and technology to make learning enjoyable for all.  Because my students have a variety of strengths, weakness and learning styles, I design each lesson so that it is diversified enough so that all students are able to succeed.

I believe that each child is a unique individual who needs a secure, caring, and stimulating atmosphere in which to grow and mature emotionally, intellectually, physically, and socially. It is my desire as a educator to help students meet their fullest potential in these areas by providing an environment that is safe, supports risk-taking, and invites a sharing of ideas. There are three elements that I believe are conducive to establishing such an environment, (1) the teacher acting as a guide, (2) allowing the child’s natural curiosity to direct his/her learning, and (3) promoting respect for all things and all people.

Teaching Experience

Teacher at West Jefferson High School, Louisiana, United States (Aug2007 – Present)
o Subjects: English I
o Department Head
o Winner for May, 2009 Exemplary 21st teaching and learning contest! A contest sponsored by Jefferson Parish’s Technology Department
Teacher at Edna Karr Secondary School, Louisiana, United States (Aug2006 – May2007)
o Subjects: English II and English IV
Teacher at Marion Abramson Senior High School, Louisiana, United States (Jan1997 – Aug2005)
o Subjects: English II and Reading
o Served as Testing Coordinator for 3 years

I am a techie junkie and I tweet often, blog sometimes, and create wikipages daily.