My Class My Head Showcasing work

My Scholars are Online and Passionate

We are in the midst of Pursuing our Passions as we work through our #PassionateScholars Project. My Scholars are researching a topic that is important to them. I have decided to try out the 20% Project and allow my students to research a topic of their own choosing. This topic should be one that they feel passionate about because they will be researching it and presenting findings for it to the class in a Ted Style video.

• What? – What in the world is 20%?
    • The basic premise of the 20 percent time project is that it is student-driven, passion-based  learning.
  • How? – Did I hear about this idea?
    • Everywhere = Daniel Pink’s book, Drive. Pink,
  • Why? – Did I think that it was a good idea for my Scholars?
    • It is important that they have some freedom and selection in the work that we do.
  • When? – Do they research, plan, share and present?
    • I have no idea. They research inside and outside of the classroom. They will share and present in about four weeks to the class annndd..???

and the final question:

• Did? – I lose my mind? LOL
    • Yes. How can a classroom full of students all panic when told to research what they wanted to know more about and felt passionate about.

First, if you tell students that they will have one day a week to research a topic of their own, the first question is WHAT SHOULD I RESEARCH?

Second, when I asked them to create a blog, something happened to their ability to turn on a computer and click a link. 

Third, I obviously need to hold on real tight because I feel that we will have a bumpy ride ahead.

These Wordles house links to the student blogs and proposal pitch videos.

Work from my 2nd period Scholars

Work from my 3rd period Scholars

Work from my 4th period Scholars