Literacy Resources My Class

Look for flags when reading closely.

When you READ CLOSELY….

Keep in mind that the author does Everything for a reason.

Scholars BEWARE of Flags

Below are some flags that authors use to indicate something of importance. Take note and when you see any of these flags, ask yourself, “WHY is he using this flag?”

FLAG 1: Remember when…

Signal: a character stops current events to look back at previous acts. Flashbacks can serve as a way of signaling some ‘turn’ in the text.

Literary importance: This flag helps readers comprehend character development, internal conflict, theme and the relationship between setting and plot.

FLAG 2: Contradictions

Signal: there is a contrast contradiction to what we expect to happen and what we see actually happening in text. There is a reason that the author has a character behave in a way that contradicts previous personal behavior or societal behavior patterns.

Literary importance: This flag helps readers recognize character development, internal conflict, theme and the relationship between setting and plot.

FLAG 3: REPEAT

Signal: events, images and words are repeated and sometimes used in unusual ways throughout the story.

Literary Importance: This flag helps readers see the development of conflict, tone, plot, setting, symbolism, theme or character development.

FLAG 4: Lightbulb moment

Signal: a character begins to question circumstances and motivations before they have realizations and shift their understanding of others, the world or themselves. The character might say phases like: “It dawned on me that..”; “I knew in an instant that ..”; “Now I realized ..”; or “Suddenly I understood…”

Literary importance: This flag helps readers see a plot twist, character development or a connection to theme, tone or conflict development.

These are just a few of the flags that an author can raise to catch your attention and make you examine what you are reading just a little closer. These flags point out important details within the text.